Sun, August 25, 2013
Flopcast 068: DragonCon Preview - Fun and Trail Mix
It's our second annual DragonCon preview show, as we prepare for the upcoming mega-gathering of the geeks in downtown Atlanta. Enjoy some hints and tips about how to survive the craziest four days on the nerd calendar. We also discuss some of the guests (Lee Majors and Lindsay Wagner!), concerts (Paul and Storm!), and events (Rebecca Watson's Quiz-O-Tron 2000!) we're looking forward to, and run through Kevin's panel schedule. (If you miss the "Sid and Marty Krofft: Wildboys and Dynagirls" panel, we'll banish you to Lidsville.) Also: Kornflake checks out the Ryan Montbleau Band (and insists they don't just cover Nu Shooz songs), and teaches us all about National Trail Mix Day. Really.
August 31 is the day to celebrate Trail Mix. Felicity was under the mistaken impression that "GORP" was an acronym for something, but it does indeed appear to derive from a verb meaning "to eat greedily", as Kornflake explained.
A 1980 film called GORP appears to be something of a Meatballs rip-off.
On to DragonCon! Felicity will be absent this year, but look for Kevin in the Skeptrack room or participating as a panelist on the American Sci-Fi Classics track. Will an epic late-night recording session take place? Perhaps, but it will be hard to top last year's cavalcade of characters.
Here are some of the highlights Kevin mentioned in his preview:
- The annual Atlanta Star Party, with funds raised going to CosmoQuest
- MythBusters Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman
- Our friends Rebecca and Amy of Skepchick
- Another friend, Tim Farley of What's the Harm?
- John and David from the American Freethought podcast
- Magician Brian Brushwood
- Lee Majors and Lindsay Wagner (the guests Felicity is most disappointed to miss)
- Not one but two Doctors from Doctor Who, Peter Davison and Sylvester McCoy (eh, Felicity's seen 'em before)
- Author K.C. Shaw
- Kornflake's favorite robot, Brent Spiner (along with a host of other Star Trek and Next Generation guests)
- Ernie Hudson from Ghostbusters
- Billy Dee Williams
- Musicians Paul and Storm, Molly Lewis, and Mike Phirman
- The intriguingly-named New York Disco Villains
When Kevin talks about having a special moment with The Hulk, he speaks from experience. Here he is with Lou Ferrigno in 2008.
We close the show with a clip from Deena Roth's "Last DragonCon", because we love it so much.